Breathing and Counting Exercise
September 6, 2009 2 Comments
2. Exhale and count out “5..4..3..2..1..0”
Count whispering while exhaling
I Don’t worry about how fast I’m Breathing & Counting at first..it ok to start off fast.
If I cant count from 5 to 0, not a big deal start with [4 to 0] or [3 to 0]
3. Inhale through the nose
4. Exhale “5..4..3..2..1..0” Just as number 2.
5. continue to step 3 and 4 :
I slow down my counting with each exhale
5…..4…..3……2…..1……0 slower and slower each exhale.
6. I do this for about 3 to 5 minutes or so
7. (optional) inhale, then exhale an whisper “I’m Safe” .
Exhale and “I’m Safe” replaces the counting.
“I’m Safe” is a bit of self talk, particularly if one is very distressed, just having a panic attack or a feeling enraged, overwhelmed, etc.**
I am not a doctor or health care professional, but I have used breathing exercises for along time. they are a good free and portable stress management plan and tool.
Breathing and Counting is the first Breathing exercise I have learned.( from a Mental Health Nurse).
Its best to practice this exercise daily, good for stress management, Mental Wellness Management. and to have it ready when feeling particular distress.
Many people, especially mental wellness managers, are more prone to feeling very distressed. These intense distressed periods may manifest them selves in:
- Panic Episodes (aka “Panic attacks” – I used to suffer from these)
- Angry outbursts.
- Restless or Obsessive or Intrusive thinking, or concentration breakdowns( I still manage this “intrusive thinking” Its less a problem for me than in the past.)
- Breathing and Counting is a good tool regain control of our breathing and emotions.
- Posted Breathing Exercises
For me,It has been helpful not the fear momentary Intense emotions of a very distressful episode( panic episode or strong feelings), but to allow them to happen through the body and out of the body , while breathing and counting, and reminding myself afterwards that I am safe.
otherwise Breathing and Counting is a good plan health exercise and helpful to calming down clearing the mind.