Two Videos on Meditation from Buddhism
April 9, 2011 2 Comments
|Intro to Zazen||Lama Surya Das|
Two very good videos on Meditation, from Youtube. Both are clear discourses for beginners and novices on “how to meditate” and appeal to newcomers with either a modern or Western background.
Both make for a worth- while refresher course for those who have meditated for years. As D.T. Suzuki would put it: approach each experience with a “Beginners mind” .
These two meditation instructional videos come from two different Schools within Buddhism who meditate.:
Left Video: Zazen mediation (from Zen).
As Patrick from Yogagarden states “meditation isn’t just for Buddhas and monks, its for everybody.” Zazen or Zen meditation is for a healthy mind and body, clear and focus thinking, and maintaining present- centered- ness and connection with our world. Its neither reclusive,nor elitist.
Right video: Lama Surya Das from Lama (or Tibetan) Buddhism.
The Speaker talks of two nature of meditation : concentrative meditating In-which one “sharpens” his attention span or mind, and “steady- mindedness” for a “panoramic attention”.
A couple tips on meditation I’ve leaned:
- good posture is important: symmetry and confidence, but relaxed
- I am not my random thoughts.
- Always a approach sitting with a “beginners mind” or Shoshin.
- Don’t suppress, let things come and go
- Meditating meets what ever needs arises during it.
- Meditation is best regularly or daily, but every so many days I take a break from doing it.
I hope these two videos from the Web are a very good aid either attempting meditating or refine your mediation. I think they are both excellent Some other video are on my Vodpod at:.