Living here in Eastern Pennsylvania, we are watching to see where Hurricane Irene moves, as it travels up the East Coast. I myself have not been a major hurricane, but this looks like the time to be prepared.
To be prepared for a Hurricane includes putting together A “hurricane preparation plan” and a “hurricane preparation kit”.
First Have a Hurricane plan:
- Make sure vehicles are filled with gas before evacuating.
- Make sure Cell phones and Tools are fully charges ahead of time
- Shut off utilities and lock down the House before evacuating
- Have a designated place of shelter clearly communicated amongst family members
- Remember to take phone numbers and important documents with you
- Remember to take a hurricane kit with you if you evacuate.
Hurricane kit and things to have handy during a hurricane.
- A gallon of Water per person.
- Canned or packaged fruit, precooked vegetables.
- breakfast bars and snacks.
- Baby food for infants
- Pet food if you have pets
- Paper plates and plastic utensils
- Sterno or “canned heat” is nice to have if there is no power for cooking.
- Flash lights
- non electric can opener
- battery powered radio
- cell phones
- Pet carrier, cage and leash
- Always good to have a set of tools around
- candles and matches
- Toilet paper
- First Aid
- Medicine and prescription drugs
- Toiletry and hygiene items
- Blankets, pillows and Towels
- Cash and credit cards
- Toys to keep children occupied
sources and more info at:
Hurricane Preparedness at NOAA.Org